Wednesday 6 March 2013

Facing reality and boosting the destash

Looking through my stash, there are a number of bits and pieces that I'm probably not going to get round to using...  but perhaps I can use them to inspire others.  My church is having a weekend away, and one of the ladies is planning a knit and natter session for the Saturday afternoon.  I've offered my stash of dk acrylic yarn as something for any newbies who might like to join in.  She also knows someone at a local charity shop (Hospice at Home) who will happily take in yarn to make into sellable objects.

So... first there's the freebie yarns from magazines (about 550g):


The dk yarns come to about 1000g:
The giant granny square they're sitting on is about 125g.  I'm not sure what to do with that just yet...

and this bag of random yarns that I took off someone else's hands during a destash(!) is about 550g:


I also have half a ball of scarf yarn which is left from a Christmas present I made about a year ago.  I'm not likely to make another from this, but perhaps someone else will enjoy it (95g):


So that gives me a grand total (without the granny square UFO) of about 2200g!!

It would have been nice to try to make something out of these myself, but reality kicked in to tell me that just wasn't going to happen.  I hope they'll be able to go to a good home though, and maybe even help create some new yarn addicts at this weekend's knit and natter time...

And it feels good to have a newly empty box in the cupboard.


(a day later...) oops!  I found some more: there's another 150g to go in the bag (half freebie yarn, and the rest is the remains of the Fab dk from the BSJ).

So that bring the given-away-total to 2350g...  (My husband's very pleased!)

4 comments:

  1. Great idea Lorna - sharing the woolly passion! When I started out I had a few donations which were extremely welcome - you get a feel for each yarn without having to invest!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they will be so grateful for your yarn Lorna, I'm sure we all have yarn in our stash that we will never use and if others can make good use of it that's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea - you inspire people to try something new AND destash at the same time :) Elisabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone :o) I did think about making a granny square blanket... but if I can pass on my addiction instead then I'll be pleased!

    ReplyDelete