Sunday, 1 January 2012

2011 makes - part 1

I started the year half-way through making 4 baby blankets for friends who were expecting new arrivals. The first was born in Autumn 2010, one on the 30th December, his cousin in January and one nearer Easter. It's a bit of a cheat showing them all as 2011 makes, but I was so pleased with them that I can't resist...

Bliss Blanket No. 1

made for baby Tim, and my first attempt at entrelac. I loved the simplicity of the design, and enjoyed making this blanket (I must have done, because I started another afterwards). The yellow yarn was slightly thinner than the other 3 though, which made for a messy transition to that row each time, but not so that anyone else would mind.
Finished October 2010.

Patchwork Blanket

made for baby Grace, and probably my favourite of the 4... I loved the mitred squares, and that the stripy sock yarn made the blanket so much more impressive than it was difficult. I'll happily do another one day.
Finished late December 2010.

Mitred Square Blanket

made for baby Robyn. I enjoyed making the squares (using a pattern from the Mason-Dixon book), but found the edges were curling up quite badly when I sewed them all together. I tried putting a reverse-stocking stitch border on to see if it would balance out and it was just-about ok once I'd blocked it twice. Quite frustrating though, as I loved the colour of this yarn.
Finished January 2011

Bliss Blanket No. 2

made for baby Simeon (who's mum is a talented knitter). This time I learned from the yarn-weight difference and used two shades of the same sock-yarn. The picture doesn't quite do it justice, but I was pleased with how it worked out.
Finished February 2011.

I also made my first Baby Surprise Jacket for the first-born of a friend at work.

I did much of this while travelling to/from London by train for a few days' holiday. The garter stitch meant it was a good pattern for knitting on the move, but there was plenty to keep my mind occupied with the shaping. I loved the way the yarn striping worked out (Sirdar baby crofter) and I'll happily make another of these one day. Next time I might see if I can work out the I-cord edging.

No comments:

Post a Comment