Wednesday 17 April 2013

WIP Wednesday - BSJ no. 4 and rubber ducky

Two WIPs to show today (the market bag's taking a bit of a rest at the moment):

First is my current BSJ, which is close to being completed now.


This is my fourth BSJ, and I think I've pretty much worked out my favourite modifications:

  • slip the last stitch of each row purlwise to give a neat edge (knitting into the back of that stitch to begin the following row)
  • do the increases as kfb on the marked stitch and the stitch before (RS rows)
  • purl the marked stitch on WS rows, to give a clear diagonal line at the increase
  • do the 5 stitch cast-off as written (or possibly a couple of rows earlier), starting on a RS row
  • decrease by one stitch at either end of each RS row until starting the button band so that the neck is a bit bigger than the original pattern.  This time I knitted the first 3 stitches, ssk, knitted to 5 stitches from the end, k2tog, k2, slip last stitch purlwise.
  • this meant I started the centre section at 150 stitches instead of 158 (based on starting the neck at 152 as written)
  • pick up the 10 stitches at either side of the body length so that the stitches are visible on the RS of the jacket (ie. pick up by purling on the RS row and knitting on the WS row)
All that's left now is to finish the last few rows of the button band.  I plan to make the button holes on both sides, so that it can be for a boy or a girl, although I've not decided exactly which row to do them on or at which points in the length of the button band.  I'll probably do an i-cord cast-off to finish off.

This is definitely one of my favourite designs for baby knits :o)


I'm also still working on my practice project for continental knitting.  It takes a bit of concentration, partly for the technique and partly because I need to count the stitches to give the pattern, so I need to choose the right moments for it.  

I don't think it will be neat enough for a present but I'll definitely keep it as a memory piece.





2 comments:

  1. Love your stripey BSJ Lorna - its fab when you can make your own tweaks and the pattern becomes more individual and comfortable for you to knit.
    Your rubber ducky is looking great too! I know exactly what you mean about choosing the right time to concentrate - and its often not when the time is available!
    Keep up the great work!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks wonderful! I love the yarn your using for the BSJ. Thanks for sharing your modifications:)

    ReplyDelete